Educate for Pet Safety

Knowledge Equals Safety: Pets and Unsuspecting Poisons

If you are anything like me, you don’t think twice about the dog or cat eating some grass or chewing on some plants…it just seems like the natural thing for them to do. Sure, we know that poison ivy is a big no-no, as well as poinsettias which are well known to be poisonous to cats.

Below, please check out the list of Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants provided by the ASPCA, a trusted and reliable resource worth sharing.

                                                   (ASPCA, n.d.)

The chart above is a list only some of the most commonly encountered plants, therefore, it should only be used as a reference since there are many more poisonous plants that can be harmful to cats and dogs and because individual animals may react differently if ingested.

The most commonly reported side effects with cats and dogs who eat these plants are gastrointestinal symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea.

Remember, if you have any suspicions that pet ingested something poisonous, contact your veterinarian immediately. If you know which plant your pet ate, taking a picture of it may help  the veterinarian choose the best treatment (ASPCA, n.d.)

The 24-hour Emergency Animal Poison Control Hotline is:

(888) 426-4435

For additional information on plants that are poisonous for pets, please follow the provided link to the ASPCA!

ASPCA:                     plants

Another safety tip worth sharing is that “Artificial Sweeteners” especially “Xylitol” can be lethal should a dog ingest it…sugar-free foods, even Peanut Butter…So be mindful and keep these foods where your dog cannot get to them.

Educate for pet safety.

I would like to send out a huge thank you to the ASPCA. Thank you for taking care of so many animals and for making this vital information public so that pet owners can keep their cats and dogs healthy and free from harm.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *